Monday, February 20, 2006

Block-o-rama!














I thought I'd give you all an update on my Olympic afghan progress. I have completed seven blocks and am working on an eighth. Obviously, some of them will require some blocking to look more presentable, but I didn't want to wait any longer to take a picture (and I'm hoping you all will be forgiving!)

Photo 1 (at left): top left--King Charles Brocade; top right--Tuck stitch; bottom left--Harris Tweed ribbing; bottom right--Knit Twist Lattice.

Photo 2 (at right): top left--Tweed pattern; bottom left--unnamed lace pattern that is supposed to look like diamond-shaped leaves (although it looks like a big mess at the moment); right--unnamed stitch pattern that gives a cool woven effect. (If I ever wanted to knit a placemat--who knows?--this would be the stitch I'd choose).

Three of these came from my Vogue Knitting book, one from a Leisure Arts book called 99 Knit Stitches, one from a pattern I've been eyeing in Jean Frost Jackets, and two from a booklet called "Knitting Primer," copyright 1968, which was mysteriously unearthed in my Grandmother's basement despite the fact that neither she nor anyone in her family ever knit a stitch as far as I know.

Even more impressive is the fact that I have successfully restrained myself from knitting anything else besides afghan blocks! I will admit I am counting down the days till I can pull out that cabled cardigan and finish it, though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Wow, you are leaving the rest of us afghan block-ers in the dust! Unless Marva's perfected her "speed knitting" that she demonstrated for us at knit night--she might be able to give you a run for your money, but I don't think I'm going to get anywhere near my original goal. But yours are beautiful! I can wait to be able to "look with my fingers" as Geo always says. :)

6:57 PM  
Blogger Geo said...

Wowee! Great job! They all look gorgeous, and they're even in patriotic colors. My favorite is the nameless block--the texture is terrific. I am on my third ugly so far, and figure that my contributions ought to provide some (unintentional) comedy to an otherwise striking collection of thoughtful stitchery. Go, diversity! Go, team!

Oh, and I am more proud of you by the day for your self-restraint. I know that cardigan is feeling neglected, but it's less than a week till you can be together again! : )

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they look great too and I'm jealous you've got the Vogue Knitting. I think the cabeled cardigan understands that you're doing this for a good cause.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home