Tuesday, February 28, 2006

As Promised

Well, here they are, folks. A bunch of glorified gauge swatches. :) I think there are a few in there that can certainly rival Geo's "ugly", but there are a few that I'm pretty pleased with, too. Toward the end I had to lessen the technical difficulty (double my triple salchow, if you will) in order to get them all done in time, but hopefully there's enough artistic merit in there to still impress the judges. I am so glad to have participated in the afghan project. Thanks again for the great idea, Jamaica! I have all these new projects brewing in my head from these stitches. I have finally, after many attempts, had some success with lace patterns in these blocks and that has totally inspired me! The other thing this project has done, though, is unleashed my inner yarn snob. I'm so sick of knitting with cheap acrylic yarn!

I took my stitches out of The Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns (my Christmas present from my mom and a really great book!). Even though you probably can't see them too well in the picture, I'll list them in the order they appear, just in case anybody cares:

1. Honeycomb
2. Left Diagonals
3. Trinity Stitch
4 & 5. Garter Stitch (done in my last desperate hour and half on Saturday night)
6. Dewdrops (which looked lovely and dainty in the picture in the book, but when knitted in my Pepto-Bismol pink yarn looked horribly, horribly ugly)
7. Column of Leaves (my favorite)
8. Overlapping Waves
9. Tweed
10. Gentle Curves
11. another Trinity Stitch
12. Open and Closed Fans

I have really enjoyed this experience and being able to hear about everyone else's progress. And I have been SO impressed with all of your projects! Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement and positive vibes!

3 Comments:

Blogger Geo said...

Ooo la la! Wow, nice job(s)! I can't wait to see these in person tomorrow night. I hope Jamaica Marva Mon is well enough to join us at B&N, because she is going to feel so gratified!

I had to laugh about your reaction to knitting with too much acrylic. In my case, just the opposite happened; I'm more of an acrylic sympathizer than I was before. I can't believe I just admitted that. Well, okay, I'm still hooked on wool, but yesterday I bought a bag of thrift store asorted acrylic simply because they were pretty colors. One still had the Red Heart label. What is happening to me?

But back to your blocks . . . artistic merit and how! You ane Taz are definitely the reigning queens of lovely and talented stitch patterns. I've about decided that I need to have a block on the needles at all times so I can experiment with new techniques and patterns AND keep up the humanitarian effort. It's not like I ever do one project at a time anyway.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I was thinking that I'll just start knitting all of my gauge swatches really big and save them all until I have enough to make an afghan. It might end up being one weird looking afghan, but maybe it would motivate me to check my gauge more often!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Geo said...

Good idea! Afghans are kind of weird anyway, so what's the diff?

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home