Sunday, February 26, 2006

Finished Object: Fair Isle Beret


I wrote a full post with two other pictures and my opinions on my Olympic experience here.

This beret was the "Fair Isle Beret" from p. 41 of Vintage Knits by Sarah Dallas. I knit it with 1 skein each of Knit Picks Palette 100% wool fingering weight yarn in Grass, Mint, Pool, Petal, Lemon, and Mist. I cast on around 8:30 p.m. on Friday, February 10 and finished around noon yesterday, Saturday, February 25. I estimate that I spent between 25-30 hours on the project. The beret measures 10" (25.5 cm) across flat and has a circumference of 22" (56cm) around my head at the opening point (much wider of course at the wider part of the beret.)

So, I wore it to church today, even though it was pretty darn cold here in Manhattan. I found that despite my ambivalence towards the color that people (suprisingly the men) liked it and told me it seemed like springtime, which was what I was going for. This picture and the ones on my blog are so funny because the wind was going in these huge gusts and I was afraid the thing would fly off because it is as light as a piece of paper. You can see my hair flying around in this one, and in the one with me and my dog on my blog, if you click on it you can see how red my face is from the cold! So after all the frustration of making this thing, I definately am looking forward to the more comfortable days that it represents.

1 Comments:

Blogger Geo said...

'Swonderful . . . 'smarvellous . . . that you would knit a beret . . .

Bellisima! I am so impressed. And well under 30 hours. Wow. You are a fast knitter!

Hey, I swiped your photo from you blog to keep on file for Team Deseret archives. Posterity will want to know about the first fabulous olympians who knit for Zion!

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home