Friday, February 10, 2006

Let the Games begin!

As a long distance member of the team, I thought I should introduce myself during the opening ceremonies. My name is Kristina and I live in Knoxville TN. My other hometown is Salt Lake City. I'm a 40-something, still single, mother of Emmeline Eliza aka Miss Emme-a darling red mini dachshund who will turn 2 yrs. old on Feb. 25th. I'm a neonatal nurse and am currently working on my doctoral dissertation in nursing at the University of Tennessee (Go Vols!!!). Knitting is one of the things I do to keep calm and happy.

My inital plan was to knit my first pair of toe-up, short-rowed heel socks as my olympic event. I know I can succeed at socks, and it was a reasonable, safe project. But that was before I started knitting my first shawl--the flower basket shawl from inerweave knits in Knit Picks alpaca cloud. That was before I found a huge hank (1 lb., 2000 yds) of red 50/50 cashmerino laceweight yarn yarn at my lys for a bargain price. It's red! How American! It's Italian yarn! How olympic!!!! A red lace shawl...now that's a *real* olympic event. I didn't buy the yarn at first, but it followed me home anyway. I dreamt about it for days. I want that yarn! So last Tuesday I went back and bought it. I've been swatching for a couple of days now and have decided to knit the Kiri shawl from All Tangled Up. http://www.alltangledup.com/movabletype/my_images/my_patterns/kiri.pdf
It's an excellent lace shawl for beginners and I'm quite psyched to do it. Here's a pic of one of my swatches.

I'm tickled pink to be a part of Team Deseret. I wish you all good luck, God bless, and let the games begin!
{{{hugs}}} beadntat

5 Comments:

Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Hey! I want to be in! I kept forgetting to apply for Team Deseret. I have been signed up on Harlot's site since Day 1. I am working on a Philosophers Wool Color Your Own in Ocean Spray colorway. I started it tonight while watching the Opening Ceremony. Yeah!

My name is Kim D. and I currently live in Wausau, WI (originally lived in Chicagoland area, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas - and not forgetting I grew up in Torquay, Devon, England where I met DH while serving his mission.)

10:02 PM  
Blogger Geo said...

Kristina: I think you made an excellent choice; red for passion (Italy's mantra?), for patriotism, and for pretty! Practicality isnt' the right p-word for this occasion, is it? So far, your lace shawl is lovely!

Kim: Welcome! We're glad you could join us. Very good to meet you. Now let's see some stitchin'! That's a lovely pattern you chose--I love MagKnits anyway.

8:45 AM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Can we link my blog (although its sadly in need of updating - on the list of things to do today) - http://knittinbritinwi.blogspot.com

I started on my PW sleeve last night during the opening ceremonies (unfortunately I didn't co until about 9pm) but have the cuff finished and am on the sleeve. I'd started on my some new meds that made me feel spacey so the speed wasn't at its usual pace, but I'm sure it's not on the list of illegal substances or doping excluding participants from the olympics. Hopefully during this time I'm goint to whip out a charity afghan square or two.

Knit on Busy Bees!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Geo said...

Kim: The roster's updated now--your blog she is linked!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hey Kristina,
I'm so happy to see you on here! I served my mission in Knoxville, so you can only guess how happy I am to see you on here! email me eptomkin at nuskin.com and I'd love to find out more about where you live, etc. . .

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home